1. - is an addictive substance.
2. - can be intoxicating, similar to alcohol.
3. - can aggravate premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
4. - can decrease emotional stability.
5. - promotes excessive food intake in obese people.
6. - can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit disorder (add).
7. - can slow the ability of the adrenal glands to function.
8. - can cut off oxygen to the brain when given to people intravenously.
9. - is a risk factor for lung cancer.
10. - increases the risk of polio.
11. - can cause epileptic seizures.
12. - can increase systolic blood pressure (pressure when the heart is contracting).
13. - can induce cell death.
14. - can increase the amount of food that you eat.
15. - can cause antisocial behavior in juvenile delinquents.
16. - can lead to prostate cancer.
17. - dehydrates newborns.
18. - can cause women to give birth to babies with low birth weight.
19. - is associated with a worse outcome of schizophrenia.
20. - can raise homocysteine levels in the bloodstream.
21. - increases the risk of breast cancer.
22. - is a risk factor in small intestine cancer.
23. - can cause laryngeal cancer.
24. - induces salt and water retention.
25. - can contribute to mild memory loss.
26. - sugar water, when given to children shortly after birth, results in those children preferring sugar water to regular water throughout childhood.
27. - causes constipation.
28. - can cause brain decay in pre-diabetic and diabetic women.
29. - can increase the risk of stomach cancer.
30. - can cause metabolic syndrome.
31. - increases neural tube defects in embryos when it is consumed by pregnant women.
32. - can cause asthma.
33. - increases the chances of getting irritable bowel syndrome.
34. - can affect central reward systems.
35. - can cause cancer of the rectum.
36. - can cause endometrial cancer.
37. - can cause renal (kidney) cell cancer.
38. - can cause liver tumors.
39. - can increase inflammatory markers in the bloodstreams of overweight people.
40. - plays a role in the cause and the continuation of acne.
41. - can ruin the sex life of both men and women by turning off the gene that controls the sex hormones.
42. - can cause fatigue, moodiness, nervousness, and depression.
43. - can make many essential nutrients less available to cells.
44. - can increase uric acid in blood.
45. - can lead to higher c-peptide concentrations.
46. - causes inflammation.
47. - can cause diverticulitis, a small bulging sac pushing outward from the colon wall that is inflamed.
48. - can decrease testosterone production.
49. - impairs spatial memory.
50. - can cause cataracts.
1. - can decrease the amount of growth hormones in the body.
2. - can increase cholesterol.
3. - increases advanced glycation end products (ages), which form when bound non-enzymatically to protein.
4. - can interfere with the absorption of protein.
5. - causes food allergies.
6. - can contribute to diabetes.
7. - can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
8. - can lead to eczema in children.
9. - can cause cardiovascular disease.
10. - can impair the structure of DNA.
11. - can change the structure of protein.
12. - can make the skin wrinkle by changing the structure of collagen.
13. - can cause cataracts.
14. - can cause emphysema.
15. - can cause atherosclerosis.
16. - can promote an elevation of low-density lipoproteins (LDL).
17. - can impair the physiological homeostasis of many systems in the body.
18. - lowers enzymes ability to function.
19. - intake is associated with the development of Parkinson’s disease.
20. - can increase the size of the liver by making the liver cells divide.
21. - can increase the amount of liver fat.
22. - can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.
23. - can damage the pancreas.
24. - can increase the body’s fluid retention.
25. - is the number one enemy of the bowel movement.
26. - can cause myopia (nearsightedness).
27. - can compromise the lining of the capillaries.
28. - can make tendons more brittle.
29. - can cause headaches, including migraines.
30. - plays a role in pancreatic cancer in women.
31. - can adversely affect children’s grades in school.
32. - can cause depression.
33. - increases the risk of gastric cancer.
34. - can cause dyspepsia (indigestion).
35. - can increase the risk of developing gout.
36. - can increase the levels of glucose in the blood much higher than complex carbohydrates in a glucose tolerance test can.
37. - reduces learning capacity.
38. - can cause two blood proteins – albumin and lipoproteins – to function less effectively, which may reduce the body’s ability to handle fat and cholesterol.
39. - can contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.
40. - can cause platelet adhesiveness, which causes blood clots.
41. - can cause hormonal imbalance – some hormones become underactive and others become overactive.
42. - can lead to the formation of kidney stones.
43. - can cause free radicals and oxidative stress.
44. - can lead to biliary tract cancer.
45. - increases the risk of pregnant adolescents delivering a small-for-gestational-age (sga) infant.
46. - can lead to a substantial decrease the in the length of pregnancy among adolescents.
47. - slows food’s travel time through the gastrointestinal tract.
48. - increases the concentration of bile acids in stool and bacterial enzymes in the colon, which can modify bile to produce cancer-causing compounds and colon cancer.
49. - increases estradiol (the most potent form of naturally occurring estrogen) in men.
50. - combines with and destroys phosphatase, a digestive enzyme, which makes digestion more difficult.
51. - can be a risk factor for gallbladder cancer.
1. - can suppress your immune system.
2. - upsets the mineral relationships in the body.
3. - can cause juvenile delinquency in children.
4. - eaten during pregnancy and lactation can influence muscle force production in offspring, which can affect an individual’s ability to exercise.
5. - in soda, when consumed by children, results in the children drinking less milk.
6. - can elevate glucose and insulin responses and return them to fasting levels slower in oral contraceptive users.
7. - can increase reactive oxygen species (ROS), which can damage cells and tissues.
8. - can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, inability to concentrate and crankiness in children.
9. - can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
10. - reduces the body’s ability to defend against bacterial infection.
11. - causes a decline in tissue elasticity and function, the more you eat, the more elasticity and function you lose.
12. - reduces high-density lipoproteins (RDL).
13. - can lead to chromium deficiency.
14. - can lead to ovarian cancer.
15. - can increase fasting levels of glucose.
16. - causes copper deficiency.
17. - interferes with the body’s absorption of calcium and magnesium.
18. - may make eyes more vulnerable to age-related macular degeneration.
19. - raises the level of neurotransmitters: dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine.
20. - can cause hypoglycemia.
21. - can lead to an acidic digestive tract.
22. - can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline levels in children.
23. - is frequently malabsorbed in patients with functional bowel disease.
24. - can cause premature aging.
25. - can lead to alcoholism.
26. - can cause tooth decay.
27. - can lead to obesity.
28. - increases the risk of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
29. - can cause gastric or duodenal ulcers.
30. - can cause arthritis.
31. - can cause learning disorders in school children.
32. - assists the uncontrolled growth of candida albicans (yeast infections).
33. - can cause gallstones.
34. - can cause heart disease.
35. - can cause appendicitis.
36. - can cause hemorrhoids.
37. - can cause varicose veins.
38. - can lead to periodontal disease.
39. - can contribute to osteoporosis.
40. - contributes to saliva acidity.
41. - can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
42. - can lower the amount of vitamin E in the blood.